Sunday, September 19, 2010

Hello, at long last I am back with photos of the previous weekend's Vanity Fair Fashion Market at Paddington RSL Sydney. The next market at Paddington is on Saturday the 10th October 2010, so put it in your diary or memory bank--it's the 2nd Saturday of the month.

Now I would like to tell you a bit about Lisa. She is warm and friendly and always has the cutest and interesting things. All sorts of beautiful, quirky or lovingly kitsch bits n pieces can be picked up at her stall. From pretty cut glass 50s brooches to wonderful handmade true vintage quilts, from funny old shower hats to retro patterned peg bags, from funky on trend 70s denim shorts to 80s sloppy joes. Below are the shorts I have mentioned. We teemed them up with those killer red lace up ankle boots and hoped someone would buy the both or at least get inspired!

Certainly a character of the markets and fairs is Weeba. She is Indonesian and with this comes a vibrancy and get up and go many wish for. She also has a great understanding of how clothes work having being brought up with sewing and handcrafts as part of everyday living. So she can repair and rework pieces as well as sew new in the old style. She always has sought after vintage and retro dresses as well as a great selection of ankle boots and unusual leather bags. Below is a bold cherry red with black buttons 80s dress and Scandinavian pattern cardigan.

Ok, here is Gabriella again. You may remember her from the last post about this market. As always she has used great genuine vintage pieces to dress up in. Going the nautical navy, white and red theme for Spring she wore a 60s shirt dress with classic stripes to the bodice and a great large cut collar. Of course what else would you teem with it but navy, red and white accessories, but I especially loved the scarf in her hair.


Below are some pieces I had for sale. The funky 60's pottery lamp has come out of my green collection. I am slowly parting with a few pieces that don't fit in entirely with my more vintage rustic/industrial look I have going.

Also out of my collection on the half mannequin was a jade green leather high sitting cap made in Japan from the 60s. And those shell and plastic bead necklaces--wow! is all I can say.

Another piece there is the 60s/70s long sleeve slim fit limey green cotton knit tee shirt--sounds basic, but these are among the most difficult pieces to find as they were worn daily and usually became too roughed up to pass on anywhere.
To me it signifies the start of a more casual, practical feel to everyday dressing for women that was influenced by man style clothing. This style was also naturally accelerated by the advent of womens' liberation. With this t-shirt, jeans would have been typically worn. At first, all girls had available to buy were mens' jeans, but slowly some makers designed especially for women. This was a revelation to me, as my mother didn't have to sew the waist in every time! Mens' jeans are noticeably wider in the waist. And I didn't have to shop each time for jeans at the army disposal store--much as I loved the atmosphere in there. I revelled in this look when I was growing up. It was my staple and still is today as it is for most girls and women around the world.
T- shirt and jeans--that's it for a good easy going life I say!

Last of all I have to show you this photo of a new sellers clothing rack. She sold wonderful new old stock and vintage designer pieces. This rack was particularly eye catching with a focus on white and off white crocheted, lace and beaded pieces.

My next post I will share with you some photos I'm very happy with from the snow on top of Mt Wellington in Hobart, Tasmania. My hubby and I had a short getaway there earlier this week. Even if you don't like the cold there can be no argument it does not create some of the most beautiful mesmerising landscapes.

No comments:

Post a Comment